Sunday, April 10, 2016

Class versus Race

In a recent discussion, I mentioned I am struggling with the question of class versus race as the primary creator of social reality and one's future.  Perhaps my struggle is tied to the potential of either class or race to alter the trajectory of one's future.  Let's focus this short discussion on influence and assume it also has implications for one's future behavior and, logically, success and/or experience.  While many assume race trumps class when attempting to rank their influence, I believe class ranks just a little ahead of race.  With the disclaimer that both are greatly interconnected, reality is that people can to a certain extent escape the challenges of race through their movement up the class structure.  A Black family that has achieved middle class status still faces racism (due to the inability to unpack tacit knowledge) has a good chance at long range success due to the options economic power provides--not only in purely economic ways but in the way it influences the creation reality.   I have a brother and sister-in-law who are solidly middle class people.  While they are still subject to overt and covert racism, they are also able to provide a social reality to their children that will greatly impact their children's attitudes and values.  Under no circumstances is this statement meant to reduce ideas that lead to racist actions, but to merely suggest that class has the potential to significantly challenge the social reality that is created by race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment