In the comment section, a reader commented this author (a University of Michigan Professor of Education) was pro-privatization and anti-union. The following is my comment in rebut to that post.
As a person who recently finished his doctorate in Education, I can assure you most colleges and universities are neither anti-union nor pro-charter. In fact, they have a vested interest in protecting the status quo public school as that means no tampering with teacher certifications or administrative licensing. If charters can break through the bureaucratic hold of most state department of instruction rules and regulations, the results would be a decrease in the number of classes and teachers in Colleges and Schools of Education. You really think most Colleges of Education are going to embrace, for instance, Teach for America, a program that does not even require certified teachers, much less membership in the union! I suspect Charters use TFA more than traditional schools and that means a change to traditional teacher preparation programs. All I am saying is self-interest is alive and well on college campuses.
In the comment section, a reader commented this author (a University of Michigan Professor of Education) was pro-privatization and anti-union. The following is my comment in rebut to that post.
As a person who recently finished his doctorate in Education, I can assure you most colleges and universities are neither anti-union nor pro-charter. In fact, they have a vested interest in protecting the status quo public school as that means no tampering with teacher certifications or administrative licensing. If charters can break through the bureaucratic hold of most state department of instruction rules and regulations, the results would be a decrease in the number of classes and teachers in Colleges and Schools of Education. You really think most Colleges of Education are going to embrace, for instance, Teach for America, a program that does not even require certified teachers, much less membership in the union! I suspect Charters use TFA more than traditional schools and that means a change to traditional teacher preparation programs. All I am saying is self-interest is alive and well on college campuses.